Sunday, April 12, 2015

Puppy must undergo surgery for his kneecap.



My poor little puppy, his mother is 14 yrs old, and he was born with a crooked snout, his tendons were not formed properly so he cannot stand up properly. He slips all over the place. His hind limbs criss cross when he tries to stand. He limps because his left knee hurts. 

My daughter in law brought him home one day, but little did she know  how sick he was. I ended up taking care of him. A week later, he had epileptic seizures. However, he is so sweet and lovable even if he’s not perfect.

We are now giving him some medications for his epileptic seizures and he has been fine for a few months. He is now 8 months old. We hope he doesn’t have any other fits it’s horrible to assist and not be able to do anything besides hold him as still as possible until he gets over it. 

Next Wednesday we are going for X-rays to see exactly what is wrong with his hind legs besides the kneecap. We are also integrating his diet with vitamins and integrators for his tendons. We have to pick him up when we bring him downstairs seeing he cannot walk up or down the stairs. Thank goodness, he has stopped growing, he is 11 kg. I hope he stays that way. 

He misses his companion. It was a male kitten a few months older then Blacky. They use to run after each other and sleep together on the couch. Unfortunately, in Italy the hunters drop poisoned bait in the woods in the spring. Oreste our kitten was poisoned; we had an autopsy done by the veterinarian and he confirmed the poison was pesticide.

Oreste hardly ever went out, but one evening he stayed out all night and the next morning I found him lying dead under a tree. The authorities said that they had more important things to take care of than go searching for whom were responsible for the pesticide poisoning. Imagine that. 

I have two other cats besides Willy and Giant, one is called Walter and the other “Macchia” which would be spot in English. Well Macchia disappeared, I hope he has found a new home and hasn’t been poisoned like Oreste. Walter disappeared but came back after two weeks, starving to death. I called them Ying and Yang because they were always together. Here’s a picture of them in their basket.


Do you have any similar problems with your dogs? Would you operate your dog if he had the same problems Blacky has?  I would love to see Blacky run as other dogs in the park but I am afraid to put him through surgery. 

It makes me realize how lucky I have been with my children. They are healthy, I was thinking imagine if I had a child with a handicap as Blacky has, it mustn’t be easy for parents whom have children that have handicaps.

Here are a few links to websites in Italian about poisoned bait. As I mentioned the authorities are doing nothing about it. It is very sad. The problem everyone seems to have is, not having enough time to be able to organize a task force and get something done.

No comments:

Post a Comment