Sunday, April 19, 2015

Pruning trees and caring for animals



I’ve been to the Vet’s with Blacky for his X-Rays. His tail bone is soldered and crooked so that is why he  doesn’t wag his tail like other dogs. I don’t know the right terminology seeing I am not a Veterinarian, so bare with me.
His pelvis is lowered and he has a hard time when he goes to the bathroom just to put it nicely. This is due to a few caudal vertebrae’s that are soldered therefore the dog can’t pull up his tail.
As for his knees, both have to undergo surgery. The left hind legs kneecap (Vet calls it kneecap or patellar luxation) is out of place and he is in pain.
The Vet suggested operating on both knees since the right leg’s kneecap seems to be moving around as well. I am worried mostly about Blacky’s epileptic seizures, he hasn’t had any for a while with the medication, but general anesthesia may be risky.
I have decided to wait a while and see if he gets any worse. Probably we will have to put him through surgery. When we take him out for a walk, he wants to run but then stops and lies down because of the pain in his knee. Did someone out there put his or her dog through surgery for the same problem? How did the surgery go?
Is your dog now running through fields as other dogs do? Can he jump up on the couch or go up the stairs on his own? Blacky can’t do any of these tasks now. Please let me know, thanks.

Blacky on his mat with a slightly crooked nose.




On a lighter note, my family worked hard outdoors this weekend. I am very proud of them. It has been raining most weekends so I couldn’t cut the grass. The forecast gave rain again this weekend but thank God, it didn’t rain yesterday. I practically ordered them to cut the grass and prune the trees.
My brother in law popped in with his gear to prune an old tree. The branches were far too long and were shading my little herb garden and greenhouse. We managed to save the green house. Now I have a week’s worth of work to clean up the garden. Have a look at the mess.

Drastically pruned tree to the left and my greenhouse and herb garden to the right.


                                                            
I can’t do everything on my own; old age is creeping up on me as well. I can’t do what I used to do 20 yrs ago. Even if I do exaggerate at times I end up with aches and pains for a week. It means I’m alive I guess.
The good thing about working out in the garden is I get rid of tension. I may be tired after a days’ work but I sure sleep well at night.
My bunnies have dug a few rabbit holes. Holly, a female bunny made three holes dislocated here and there on the premises. I wonder which one she will use for her bunnies. I stalk her but she is clever, she won’t go near the nest but in the opposite direction as soon as I get too close.


This is Holly

My Lilacs and apple trees are in full  bloom I find  they are gorgeous.


See my lionhead bunny on the grass?                                           My Lilac plant
 
I have had problems with a hunter’s dog visiting us occasionally. One morning as I was getting ready to go to work I could hear my dogs barking. They were alarmed by something. I ran downstairs still wearing my pajamas when I saw Little Lord a hunting dog running after Holly. Holly ran faster than Lord did but I think my French hen got the worst treatment. I can't blame the dog, he is real sweet and is happy to see me when he visits, it's his animal instinct after all to hunt. It's the dogs owner that needs to be educated.

In fact, today I saw her perched up high on a basket behind the barn. I went up to pet her and noticed she was missing quite a few feathers on her back. She stayed still while I inspected her back and pulled up her wing. Indeed, the dog had hurt her. She has a bad scar that is now healing on its own. 
Poor thing, one of the roosters this autumn poked her eye while mating. She recovered during the winter. I had placed her in the tool shop where I would light up a wood stove now and then to keep her warm. I hope that she will survive it’s not easy to heal a hen. Most people tell me to snap her neck and cook her for dinner. They just don’t understand I couldn’t do such a thing. I can pick her up and pet her, I softly speak to her, and she seems to understand that she is safe in my arms. No, I’m not crazy I just love animals.
 

                                                                       The poor hen.
One of my three roosters.


No comments:

Post a Comment